Friday, September 14, 2007

Rolling Stone Magazine's Entire Archive On DVD


When I was but a lad, I read Rolling Stone religiously (my older sister had a subscription to it) and absorbed all that I could about that strange and exciting counterculture that barely touched my suburban Connecticut neighborhood. To this day I still remember many of the articles, especially the groundbreaking journalism of Hunter Thompson and others. (And I remember my parents' outrage when they saw the issue with the infamous photo a shirtless David Cassidy with a hint of "hair down there" on the cover.) We went our separate ways sometime in the late 80s/early 90s as the magazine started to become more mainstream with a heavy dose of fashion pages and (gasp!) ads from the US Army. I've been reading again over the last few years and can overlook those aspects of it because I'm happy to say that first-rate journalism still rules the day at RS. So now, as the magazine celebrates its anniversary, Bondi Digital Publishing is about to release the entire 40-year collection of Rolling Stone magazine on DVD next week. The archives will feature searchable digital editions of every page of every issue published, compatible on both Mac and PC platforms. That's over 1,000 issues, and more than 115,000 pages scanned and digitized exactly as they were in the print release.
The box set comes with a 200-page book about the history of RS, beginning with its storied early days as a tabloid (launched with a $7,500 investment) published out of a San Francisco loft.

No comments:

 
Music blogs